Thursday, November 10, 2011

Veteran's Day Salute - My Hague Family

I wanted to list all my relations that have been in the US Military for this Veteran's Day, but alas, there are so many.  I'll just show the photos of a few of my family with the Hague surname.  Perhaps more next year.   My great-great grandfather, James Hague, came to the USA in 1848 from England.  His son, Joseph H. Hague was the first of our Hagues to be in the US military.
     
 Joseph H. Hague b. 1841 in Dukinfield, Lancashire, England, was in the Union Army in the Civil War in 1864. Co. F. 47th Infantry Reg. Iowa.  He was active in GAR activies for the rest of his life.   He died at Des Moines, Iowa in 1922.

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  
  My dad's uncle, William Henry Hague, Jr. was born in 1880 in Delaware Township, Polk Co., Iowa, on the family farm.  He was in World War I. Unfortunately he was gassed or "shell shocked" and was never the same when he returned, but he had quite a knack getting the plow horses to behave, and he loved to walk everywhere, rather than ride a car.  His brother (My dad's father, Alfred George Hague) was designated his guardian.  "Uncle Billy" died in 1960 in Knoxville, Iowa.
^^^^^^^
 My dad's brother, Wallace Eugene Hague, was born in 1913 in Des Moines, Polk co., Iowa.  He came to California with his family when he was young.  He joined the Army Air Corps at the start of WWII.  He remained in the Air Force for 30 years and was stationed in the Pacific and was a part of the Berlin Air Lift in WWII.  He died in Oregon in 1983 after retiring to Gold Beach, OR.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  My dad, Alfred Vincent Hague, was born in 1909 in Des Moines, Iowa.  He was not in the regular Air Force.  His occupation with the telephone company was deemed critical to the war effort and so he joined the Civil Air Patrol out of Los Angeles, California.  He was a private pilot and participated in Civil Air Patrol search and rescues, and later ham radio emergency relay activities in Hemet, California where he died in 1993
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My brother, Richard Vincent Hague was born in Los Angeles in 1941.  He volunteered for the Air Force during the Vietnam War and served in Vietnam and Thailand.  He was in the Air Police.  After his military service he settled in Nevada where he was a criminoloist with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (CSI).  He died there in 2006.
^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll add myself, Donna Marilyn Hague.  I was born in 1945 in Los Angeles, on August 7th, between the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.   I spent 26 active duty years in the Army Nurse Corps specializing in Operating Room Nursing.  For four years I was stationed at Landstuhl Army Regional Medical Center, in Germany.   The years I served in the Army were between the Vietnam War and the Iraq War.  I retired to Hawaii, one of my last duty stations (Tripler Army Medical Center).

No comments: